Today's recipe is courtesy of LittleStomaks.com, a great website offering science driven information about nutrition for young children. They offered to share one of their vegetable recipes from their Simple Recipes collection with me. I encourage you to visit their site for even more tasty ideas. I chose the following recipe because it sounded like something I would really enjoy. I haven't tried it yet, but it's definitely on my list of things to make in the future.
Grilled Eggplant Salad in Yogurt
This eggplant recipe is similar to babaganoush, but with a little twist! It is prepared in yogurt instead of tahini. Serve it chilled as a side dish with grilled fish and rice – you will love it!
5-6 small Asian/Indian eggplants
1 cup plain yogurt
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2-3 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
salt, pepper to taste
- Cut small slits in the eggplants and lightly brush each with olive oil. Place eggplants in a stainless steel wire grilling pan and grill over medium high heat, turning gently once in a while until the skin is dark and partially charred.
- Remove eggplants from the grill and let them cool for a few minutes. Peel off the skin and collect the flesh in a bowl.
- Cut in smaller pieces and then puree in a food processor.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix with plain yogurt until smooth and homogeneous. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Chill in a refrigerator before serving.