Thursday, March 12, 2009

Michelle Obama's Healthy Eating Message

I was happy to read the article below about how Michelle Obama is promoting healthful eating. Click on the link below for the full story. I was especially pleased that she seemed to be promoting moderation and was able to enjoy foods that are so often labeled as "bad" or "unhealthy" in addition to fresh fruits and vegetables. I am also inspired to learn more about soup kitchens mentioned which provide access to fresh produce. Fresh foods should not just be a luxury for those who can afford it.

My only little personal cringe with this article was when Malia was referred to as "getting a little chubby." I think it's important to look at what we are feeding are children and for parents to make smart choices in what they offer their kids to eat, but we shouldn't be communicating messages that could lead to trouble with body image. Granted I know nothing about Malia's weight or growth history, but it is often a normal part of growth for children to be "a little chubby" at points. I also know nothing about how the concern about her weight was communicated or how the change in diet was made, but I'm hoping it wasn't done with a big emphasis on her shape and size.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/11/dining/11lady.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=health

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to include your email address or email me at info@dinnertogether.com if you'd like to be considered for any giveaways.