6 pound whole chicken
1 ½ Tablespoons of dried herbs*
· Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
· Remove giblets and neck from inside the chicken.
· Rinse chicken and pat dry.
· Brush chicken with olive oil (or rub oil with your fingers).
· Sprinkle with herbs, salt, and pepper.
· Place bird, breast-side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
· Roast until meat thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180 degrees.
· Depending on your oven and the size of your chicken, it should take about 25 minutes per pound to cook.
*Use what you have on hand. Some recommendations that go well with poultry ~ poultry seasoning mix, thyme, sage, rosemary. If you have fresh herbs available, increase the amount that you’re using. A good rule of thumb is to use a 1:3 dried:fresh ratio.
Convection oven variation
A few years ago I got a convection oven. My favorite way to use it is making roasted chicken. The skin comes out really crispy and the meat is really moist. If you have a convection oven, decrease the oven heat to 325 degrees, and decrease the cooking time to about 20 minutes per pound.