I've written before on the importance of meal planning as well as on the value of meal planning services so I was happy to try some recipes from Menu for the Week. As I've written before, I enjoy trying new recipes and getting new ideas for meals. I'm always on a search to expand my repertoire. However, my personal meal planning involves coordinating my schedule with the type of meals I plan to prepare. For those of you who can't stand to think of what to make for dinner, Menu for the Week will do it for you. From what I've reviewed so far, Dawn's recipes sound very tasty and family-friendly and seem easy to prepare.
This week I tried Dawn's recipe for Bacon and Spinach Tortellini and it was a big hit in my house. 4 out 5 of us really enjoyed this meal, although the 5th, my pickiest, was a little turned off by the "green" in her pasta. However, she ate it anyway. I also loved how easy and fast this recipe was. I couldn't believe dinner was ready so quickly. I served this with a spinach salad with mandarin oranges, and the whole meal was delicious. I'm also planning to try her crockpot meatball recipe soon and will let you know how it goes in my March newsletter. (Sign up now!)
Dawn is offering a 20% discount for her subscription service to Dinner Together readers. Just enter the code "DINNERTOGETHER" when signing up. She also offers a free trial week if you just want to give it a test. Thank you Dawn!
Bacon and Spinach Tortellini
6 pieces bacon
1 family-size package cheese tortellini
1 tablespoon pine nuts (I skipped this part because of my daughter's nut allergies)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups fresh, baby spinach
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Microwave bacon between 10 paper towels (5 layers on each side) for 5-6 minutes. Crumble and set aside.
- Cook tortellini according to package; drain. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes until toasted - stirring occasionnally. Add nuts to bowl of pasta.
- Heat olive oil in the same skillet over low heat. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add spinach to pan. Cook for 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add to bowl.
- Add to bowl; parmesan, pepper, and crumbled bacon. Toss well and serve.