GRILLED VEGETABLES WITH PASTA
1 lb penne (or other short pasta)
1 teaspoon salt, divided
2 medium zucchini
1 red bell pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Place eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Let stand for 30 minutes and then rinse with cold water.
- Cut zucchini into quarters, lengthwise.
- Seed and quarter red pepper.
- Cut tomato in half and quarter onion.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Brush all vegetables with olive oil and save remaining oil.
- Place on hot grill. Grill vegetables for 5 - 10 minutes, turning as needed. Vegetables will be softer, and somewhat charred (but not burned) when done.
- Cut grilled vegetables into one-inch pieces.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining olive oil, lemon zest, and herbs.
- Combine pasta, vegetables, oil mixture and cheese. Toss well and serve.