Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Success with Roasted Kale

Last night I tried something new with kale. I've made kale before but the kids have never eaten it. I've heard of people roasting kale so I searched the web for some recipes. I found a couple of easy ones, adapted them and came up with this:

ROASTED KALE

1 bunch of kale
1 T olive oil
1 garlic clove, pressed
Salt and pepper, to taste

· Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
· Rinse kale and pat it dry.
· Break kale into pieces, removing spines and stems.
· In a large bowl mix all ingredients.
· Spread mixture on a baking sheet. It does not have to be in a single layer at this point.
· Bake for about 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
· Serve immediately.

Serves 4-6.

The kids actually liked it. My pickiest said, "This doesn't even taste like a vegetable!" High praise from a vegetable-avoider. Another said, "They're kind of like potato chips," referring to the crispy, airy texture. So if you're looking to try a new and different way to serve vegetables, I'd suggest giving this a try. By the way, I used almost a teaspoon of salt, which I personally thought was too much, but the kids liked it, so go figure...

2 comments:

  1. That Kale was delicious. It was like a snack right in the middle of dinner. I am thinking of passing on popcorn then next time I go to the movies and bringing along some roasted kale instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great recipe although I used 1 tsp of salt and it was way too much. Even my son (who ate it by the way!) said it was too much salt. We all agreed i should try it again though. Amazing for Kale!

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to include your email address or email me at info@dinnertogether.com if you'd like to be considered for any giveaways.