Baked Ziti with Zucchini and Summer Squash
Adapted from Cooking Light, July 2011
1 lb ziti
2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 medium yellow squash, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups (8 oz) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
½ tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and return to pot.
- Mix together ricotta cheese and egg.
- Add ricotta mixture and 1 ½ cups of mozzarella cheese to the cooked pasta and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute zucchini, yellow squash, and onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato and garlic and cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Stir cooked vegetable mixture into pasta mixture.
- Add basil and oregano.
- Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- Transfer pasta mixture to baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Note: This dish freezes very well. Increase the cooking time if baking from frozen.
Slow Cooker Ratatouille
Adapted from The New Creative Crock Pot Cookbook by R.T. Swatt, 2001.
2 medium eggplants, cut into ½-inch thick round slices
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium zucchini, cut into ½-inch slices
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium yellow squash, cut into ½-inch pieces
2 medium tomatoes, sliced into wedges
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup chicken broth (or white wine if you have it)
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
grated Parmesan or crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Place the eggplant slices in a large colander and sprinkle with salt to remove excesss water. (I peeled my eggplant first, but that is optional. I know there are lots of nutrients in the skin, but I don’t care for it.)
- After 30 minutes, rinse the salt off the eggplant and pat dry.
- Cut the eggplant into 2-inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, sauté the eggplant, onion, garlic, zucchini, yellow squash, and red pepper for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a slow cooker and add the tomatoes, olive oil, chicken broth, and vinegar.
- Cover and cook on Low 4 to 6 hours.
- Serve with cheese if desired.
Note: This recipe can also be frozen, but it tastes better fresh; it became a little more watery through the freezing/reheating process.
Summer Squash Ribbons with Lemon and Parmesan
Adapted from RealSimple.com
1 large zucchini
1 large yellow squash
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
½ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the squash and zucchini into long, thin ribbon strips using a vegetable peeler. Stop peeling when you get to the seeded core.
- Place squash in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over squash ribbons and toss gently to combine.