Thursday, February 17, 2011

Deliciously Healthy Family Meals: Free Cookbook

I recently received a free copy of a new cookbook published by the National Institute’s of Health’s We Can! (Ways to Enhance Children’s Activity & Nutrition) Program. This book is available for free yes, I said FREE!) in pdf form and in print.

I would definitely recommend looking through this book. The photographs are fantastic; they truly succeed at making healthy food look mouth-watering.  There are a variety of recipes included for dinners, snacks, side dishes, and lunch/brunch. Some of the recipes really appealed to me, and I will definitely be giving them a try, like Spinach and Corn Pancakes, Zesty Tomato Soup and Mexican Lasagna. The recipe that I found most intriguing was for Watermelon and Tomato Salad. Although watermelon is not currently in season where I live, I’m going to include that recipe below as a harbinger of warmer weather to come.

I think this cookbook is especially valuable for beginning cooks. There is a glossary of cooking terms, a guide to common cooking measurements, basic cooking instructions, and photos illustrating cutting terms that many will find helpful. Also included are suggestions for estimated calorie requirements for children based on their age and activity level and a food guide for children. I personally could have done without these materials because I’m not sure how useful they are.

I would recommend this cookbook for anyone who is searching for new recipes to make for their family. You may be inspired to attempt something new…plus you’ve already paid for it with your tax dollars!

Watermelon and Tomato Salad

2 large tomatos, rinsed and cut into slices each
1 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar (or substitute apple cider vinegar)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
4 cups diced watermelon, with seeds removed
¼ tps salt
¼ tsp black pepper

1. Arrange three tomato slices on each of four salad plates.
2. Combine vinegar, oil, and basil in a bowl, and mix well.
3. Add watermelon, and gently toss to coat evenly.
4. Spoon watermelon over the tomatoes.
5. Top with salt and pepper, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to include your email address or email me at info@dinnertogether.com if you'd like to be considered for any giveaways.