Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Easy Spinach Lasagna

I haven't posted a recipe in a while and have been wanting to. Tomorrow night my family will be eating a spinach lasagna that a made last month and froze. I never make just one lasagna. Whenever I make one, I make two. I either give one away (perhaps to a friend who just had a baby) or freeze one for later. No friends have had babies lately, so I saved the second one for us this time. Consider this recipe to be more of a guideline than an exact recipe. I usually make my own marinara sauce, but feel free to use jarred. Sometimes I use fresh mozzarella, sometimes I use the pre-shredded bagged cheese. Use whatever you have on hand ~ or whatever is easiest! This is also a great recipe for including kids as helpers. The recipe below is for 2 lasagnas.

8 cups marinara sauce
3 lbs. ricotta cheese
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
10-oz box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 8-oz boxes Ronzoni Oven-Ready Lasagna, uncooked
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Combine ricotta cheese, eggs, grated Parmesan cheese, and spinach.
  • Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce at the bottom of two 13x9x2 pans (you can use a disposal foil pan if you're giving one lasagna away, or if you don't have two pans).
  • Layer in the following order: lasagna noodle, ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese, sauce.
  • Repeat. Each lasagna should have three layers and be topped with a lasagna noodle.
  • Cover the entire lasagna with sauce. When using oven-ready noodles, it's important that all the noodles are moist and covered with sauce.
  • Top with mozzarella.
  • For the lasagna you are cooking, cover with foil.
  • Bake for 30 minutes.
  • Remove foil and cook another 10-15 minutes.
  • For the lasagna you are freezing, cover first with plastic wrap, then with foil. When you're ready to cook it, remove the plastic wrap and replace the foil. Bake frozen lasagna covered for about 90 minutes. Remove the foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.
Each lasagna serves about 10-12.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to include your email address or email me at info@dinnertogether.com if you'd like to be considered for any giveaways.